Associate Partner Manager Position
Philadelphia-based venture capital firm Osage University Partners is looking for an Associate Partner Manager to support its activities with its partner universities who are the sources of the companies in which the firm invests. The qualified candidate will have a background involving university startups through entrepreneurial, investor, or technology transfer experience.
Osage University Partners (“OUP”) is a unique venture fund that has partnered with leading universities and research institutions to invest in their most compelling spin-outs. Over 1,000 start-up companies are launched each year in the U.S. based upon university technologies, resulting in the creation of many notable companies. Osage has established relationships with over 90 top tier institutions, including our founding university partners Caltech, Columbia, Duke, University of Florida, Harvard, University of Michigan, Penn, UC Berkeley, and Yale, to exercise unique investment rights that those institutions hold in their start-ups.
These investments rights provide OUP with truly proprietary deal flow and, more importantly, unprecedented, rights-driven access to some of the most sought after, exciting, and oversubscribed investments funded by top-tier venture capital syndicates. The portfolio to date is comprised of a mix of late stage and early stage companies (at the time of initial investment). We focus on all sectors of university-originated technology, including materials science, network security, software, electronics, energy, therapeutics, devices, and diagnostics. Our goal is to build a highly diversified portfolio across both sector and stage.
OUP I held its final close in January of 2011, raising its target of $100 million. OUP II held its final close in March of 2015, raising an oversubscribed $215 million fund. OUP is currently raising its third fund targeting $250M, which is now oversubscribed. OUP expects to start investing out of this fund in early 2019. OUP has invested in over 80 companies, with multiple exits via M&A and IPO.
Osage University Partners is located in Bala Cynwyd, PA, just outside the Philadelphia city limits.
Osage University Partners seeks a dynamic, qualified candidate as our Associate Partner Manager. The primary responsibility for OUP’s new Associate Partner Manager role is the relationships with a subset of approximately 40 of the universities partnered with OUP. The Associate Partner Manager will be responsible for deal flow, relationship management, and programming to and from these universities. Specific responsibilities include:
• Conducting startup company list reviews with the technology transfer offices
• Visiting each of the campuses at least once a year
• Delivering educational content on an as-requested basis by the universities
• Relaying potential startups of interest back to the investment team
• Tracking certain subsets of companies from the universities for inflection points
• Working with the university relations team on developing and providing additional
programming to the universities
The Associate Partner Manager will shadow OUP’s investment and university relations teams for the first several months of employment, but will be expected to take on primary responsibility for the relationships with the subset of academic institutions after the first several months.
Travel for the position will be at least 30% of the Associate Partner Manager’s time.
Work experience: 4-8+ years of experience
- Work in a dynamic business environment
- Projects completed above expectations
- Proven relationship development experience
- University startup ecosystem experience strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline or finance
- Demonstrated record of exceptional academic performance
- Highly productive
- Team player
- Strong relationship building skills
- Excellent public speaker
- Extremely organized
- Proactive and self-starter
- Proficient in all MS Office products
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal
The position is based in Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania.
Please email your resume to Kirsten Leute at email@example.com